This meal is suitable for the following: healthy eating, weight management, low GI, preconception, endometriosis, PCOS, men’s health. Salmon is a great source of protein and is rich in healthy omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D. It is also a good source of iron. Mixed beans are a low GI food and a great source of fibre.
FOR 4 :
4 Salmon fillets
1 lemon halved
90g (3oz / 1 bunch) coriander leaves, chopped
ground black pepper
Mixed Bean Salsa:
440g can of mixed beans, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp black olives, chopped
6 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 red chili, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Pre heat oven to 180 (350 / GM4). Put salmon fillets in ovenproof dish. Squeeze the lemon over fillets, sprinkle with ½ coriander leaves and season with pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 20 – minutes.
Combine all the ingredients for mixed bean salsa in a bowel. Add remaining coriander and mix well.
Put all ingredients for salad dressing in a screw top jar and shake. Drizzle over salad leaves.
Put cooked salmon fillets on each plate, top with bean salsa and serve with green salad.
For a main meal serve with 150g cooked couscous per person (156kcal)
Nutrition per serving:
Kcal 464 (medium)
Fat 24g (low in unhealthy fat; high in healthy oils)
Carbohydrate 15g (low)
• Sunblush tomatoes have a milder, sweeter flavour than sundried and make a tangier salsa. Fresh halved cherry tomatoes would also work very well, and all tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C for iron absorption and lycopene- a nutrient that has been shown to reduce men’s risk of prostate
• Mixed beans are a low GI food and a great source of fibre. They are widely available, but you can use a combination of any tinned beans in brine (salted water) you like, or add some sweetcorn for variety
• The dish tastes good cold, so it can all be prepared in advance. The fish could also be cooked on the barbeque
• To vary the flavour, try using lime instead of lemon or flatleaf parsley instead of coriander
• This dish is low in carbohydrate. It works well with baby new potatoes or noodles on the side. A small serving will add about 80kcal and 20g carbohydrate.