Our First Step Fertility Check is aimed at people who are wondering if they might have a problem.
It is very normal for it to take up to a year for a healthy fertile couple to achieve a pregnancy and most fertility specialists would not recommend seeing a doctor sooner than that.
For some couples, however, it is recommended that they see a doctor before 12 months have passed.
It is impossible to have one rule for all patients and we at Merrion Fertility Clinic strongly believe in individualised care based on your particular situation.
However, some general guidelines as to when you should seek help are as shown below. If you are in doubt, feel free to call us or discuss it with your GP/family doctor.
|Female partner||Situation||How long to wait|
|Under 35||No medical problems||1 year|
|35 – 37||No medical problems||9 months|
|38 and over||No medical problems||6 months|
|Any age||No periods or periods more than 2 months apart||Don’t wait|
|History severe endometriosis||3-6 months *|
|History chlamydia or other STI||3-6 months *|
|History pelvic surgery for ectopics, damaged tubes, Crohn’s disease etc||3-6 months *|
|Family history of early menopause||3-6 months *|
|On drugs that need to be stopped before pregnancy||See us before you stop the drugs|
|Any age||History of testicular surgery||3-6 months *|
|Either partner||Sexual problems||Don’t wait|
*depending on age
What does “First step testing” include?
This package costs €400 and includes the following:
- Semen Analysis: This tests sperm count, sperm motility (number that are swimming) and sperm morphology (shape). We also check for antisperm antibodies and prepare your sperm to see which type of fertility treatment would be best if you are found to need treatment.
- Ultrasound scan: This is a transvaginal scan, it gives us a lot of information about the woman’s pelvis including checking for cysts, fibroids, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, polyps or swollen tubes (hydrosalpinx). We also do an antral follicle count which helps predict your ovarian reserve – an indicator of how many eggs are left in your ovaries.
- AMH blood test: This hormone test, in association with your scan, helps us to assess your ovarian reserve. It also helps in diagnosing polycystic ovaries.
- Rubella blood test: To check Rubella immunity.
- Consultation with one of our fertility specialists: At this consultation, your individual situation will be discussed and also the results of your tests. We strongly recommend that both partners attend for this visit. Further tests may be required depending on your situation and these will be discussed at the consultation. If everything is normal, you may not need any treatment but all options will be discussed.
Some tips to consider.
- If you smoke, stop now.
- Keep alcohol to 6-8 units per week for women and 8-10 for men.
- Make sure you have a healthy weight (BMI 19-25) (MFC only treats if BMI 19-30).
- Get adequate amounts of rest and exercise.
- Try to reduce stress.