Kay Duff BA. Dip Couns TCD. MIACP
I am an experienced professional Counsellor. I received my academic and professional qualifications from Trinity College Dublin and hold accreditation with The Irish Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) and the Irish Association of Fertility Counsellors (IFCA). I originally trained as a couple’s counsellor with RELATE UK and continued working in this area for ten years in Marriage and Relationship Counselling Services (MRCS) Dublin.
I came to the area of fertility in 2003 and have been the attending counsellor at the Merrion Fertility clinic since. I also work as a general counsellor and have a private practice in North Dublin. Five years ago I was a founding member of the Irish Fertility Counsellors Association (IFCA) and I am an active member today.
How can I help?
Having worked more than ten years with Merrion Fertility Clinic, and also within private practice, I have gained a deep understanding about the complex emotions that come with trying to conceive. Trying to become pregnant can be daunting and it is not unusual to experience some of the following feelings and experiences.
- Over whelming feelings of grief and loss
- Anxiety and jealously when others announce their pregnancy
- A sense of guilt and failure
- Anger and resentment
- Feeling isolated from friends/group
- Stress in the relationship
- Upset with family and friends who don’t seem to understand
- Sex has become part of the baby making process
- Past painful losses re-emerging
- Worried about the relationship, if no children- what then?
Although each case is unique, talking through these overwhelming feelings with a third party who has expertise in the area can help you find ways to cope.
The following are just some of the complex situations whereby I also offer support and information.
- Coming to terms with not conceiving naturally
- Having fertility treatments or tests & investigations
- Preparation and support for those considering donor treatment abroad
- Complex ethical decisions i.e. starting or ending fertility treatment
- Talking through inter-country adoption
- Secondary infertility
For further information please contact me at 01 8319625